Blast from the past: Pop culture 10 years ago

As someone who was a kid/tween in the mid-2000s, I’m definitely not a nostalgia elitist. You know the ones – those people who say “the 90s were so much better; TV/pop culture/media just isn’t the same anymore.” But sometimes it can be good to look back on what was in style in ye olden days. In fact, let’s go back to 10 years ago, to a time when the only person we had to worry about having a meltdown was Britney.
Movies:
“Juno” – With a jug of Sunny D in one hand and a pregnancy test in the other, Juno MacGuff was about to face what seemed like the worst nightmare of any teen girl. However, when she discovers an ad in her local newspaper, she finds herself thrown headfirst into the world of adulthood and adoption. This movie is still a cult hit with a killer soundtrack.
Best line: “I’m already pregnant, so what other shenanigans could I get into?”
“Bee Movie” – Also known by some as the greatest movie of all time, “Bee Movie” inspired meme-making generations on all social media platforms. The movie as a whole is ridiculous (leaving your man for an insect that’ll live for no longer than five years — who does that?), but that’ll leave you on the floor laughing. The cause is understandable, though: bees should be treated with respect and Ray Liotta should have his own line of honey.
Best line: “We stand behind a fellow, black and yellow.”
“Hairspray” – This one is near and dear to my heart, because it was my first official musical where the words “high school” didn’t precede the title. From Zac Efron to Amanda Bynes to its heartwarming plot, “Hairspray” combines some of my favorite things: music and social justice.
Best line: “Negro Day is the best, I wish every day was Negro Day!”
Songs:
“Hey There Delilah” – Have you ever looked back on your teenage years and cried about your middle school sweetheart and how you thought you were going to “be together 5-ever?” If you did, it was probably set to the tune of “Hey There Delilah.” If you didn’t know this song word-for-word, then that probably hindered your ability to even get a bae. Unless you were me, then it was just puberty telling you “it’s not time yet.”
Best line: “By the time that we get through, the world will never, ever be the same, and you’re to blame.”
“Umbrella” – Raining down heavy beats from Jay Z, this is Rihanna’s big hit from “Good Girl Gone Bad.” Every banger needs a hook, and throughout the song, Rihanna’s ability to find the words that rhyme with umbrella helps to keep everyone singing along.
Best line: “You can stand under my umbrella, ella, ella, eh, eh, eh.”
“Girlfriend” – For anyone who can’t believe that their crush is dating someone other than you, “Girlfriend” is the song for you. Odds are you listened to this song when you had streaks of color in your hair, wore long black jeans and DCs. I mean, if you wanted to act the role of snarky, rebellious teenager, you had to look the part.
Best line: “Hey, hey, you, you, I don’t like your girlfriend.”
TV shows:
“Keeping up with the Kardashians” – Yes, the royal family has graced our screens for a decade now. I’m talking about Kim K and her band of shade-throwing family members. Yes, their story may have started with Kim and Ray J’s escapade, but you have to give them credit. Kim was able to make an invasion of privacy into a multi-million dollar industry for both her and her family. No offense to your favs, but when will they ever do something like that? This show is still running strong, so don’t forget to check out E! to see what my mom Kim is doing next.
Best line: “Kim, there are people who are dying.”
“iCarly” – Here’s a secret: When I was a young kid, I wanted to be “famous.” Or I at least wanted to be on a web-show. “iCarly” was the sole reason for this, because I honestly thought I was funny enough to have my own. RIP those thoughts. Anyway, this was one of Dan Schneider’s shows, so you always knew you were in store for a few laughs.
Best line: “When temperatures get too high the elderly will start to die!”
“I Love New York”– I had to add this gem. For anyone who is a reality TV junkie like myself, you’ll know that Tiffany “New York” Pollard is on the shortlist for the greatest things to ever happen to television. So when the time came for her to find love, my 11-year-old self just had to jump in front of the TV and glue my eyes to the screen. And while New York never found her beau, we did get at least three more years of the self-proclaimed “HBIC.” Pollard has slowly found herself back onto the silver screen, and I’m excited to see what happens for her next.
Best line: “New York is in the motherf**king house!”