Dining hall mashups

Breakfast+Bagel
Photo courtesy of Joseph Messier
Breakfast Bagel

I’m pretty sure most people know that the quality of the food from the on-campus dining halls isn’t always the highest. It’s tolerable most days, but even people with the most hardened of senses eventually end up longing for something different. Sadly, takeout from fast food restaurants can quickly become very expensive. If you’d like to mix things up a little, here are a couple ideas to try. All you need is some food from the dining hall of your choice and access to a kitchen (most residence halls have their own kitchen, albeit not stocked, in the lower floors). All of the following recipes can be made with items found exclusively in the dining halls.
Breakfast Sandwich
Ingredients: 1 bagel, scrambled eggs, sausage, cheddar cheese
Cut the bagel in half and spread the scrambled eggs on top. Then, cut the sausages in half to have more coverage over the bagel, but if you want a thicker bite, just lay them on the eggs as is. Sprinkle cheese over the top. Set the oven to “broil” and place the concoction without the top half of the bagel in the oven to melt the cheese. If an oven is not available, microwave until cheese is melted. Top with the other half of the bagel.
Chicken and Vegetable Wrap
Ingredients: 1 tortilla, several slices of grilled chicken, a small handful of green beans, 3 baby carrots
Lay the chicken into the middle of the tortilla and top with green beans. Cut the baby carrots into fourths and place with the rest of the green beans. Close the tortilla.
Waffled Donut
Ingredients: 1 glazed donut, 2 tablespoons of cream cheese, 1 sugar packet, blueberries
Take the donut and press it in a waffle iron until slightly brown or cooked to desired color. While cooking, mix the cream cheese with the sugar. Remove the donut from the waffle iron and top with cream cheese and blueberries or the topping of your desire. There are endless possibilities, but the important part is that it’s pressed in the waffle iron.