An interview with Hunter Renfrow

DAVID PEREZ // Photo Editor

Hunter Renfrow (13) during Clemson’s 2018 spring game. 

Tiger Sports (TS): You’ve been with the team a long time now, but what are your thoughts on the freshmen this year?

Hunter Renfrow (HR):  It’s fun to have some youth. The guys I spend the most time with [are] DK [Derion Kendrick] receiver number 10 and Justyn Ross. I think DK won four state championships in Rock Hill, and hopefully he can keep that going and we can win a few more championships. It’s just been fun to see them work everyday. It’s fun to see guys that highly recruited also be good people, and I feel like we have that in those two guys. It’s also really fun to see number 13 out there, KJ Henry. 

TS: What are your thoughts on the offense this year? Has it changed much from the years before?

HR: We still run the same scheme, but it’s changed a little bit as far as personnel. We have the same structure for the most part, and we still go out there and try to be an up-tempo offense. We try to make a lot of plays every game because we feel that gives us more opportunities to score.

TS: You’ve obviously played against the defense a good bit this summer, but how do you think they’ve changed this past year?

HR: Every year these guys get better and better. Isaiah Simmons is a freak; he’s usually the guy I go against. He’s long. A lot longer than people normally realize. I just keep trying to find new ways to manipulate him. Gotta get [sic] his hips turned around a little more and that sort of thing. Our defensive line is special, as everyone knows, but not just them. Everyone across the board is solid. [Strings] one through three can go out there and win a game for us.

TS: You came up with humble roots in this program, so how do you think the walk-on tryouts will affect the depth in the organization? 

HR: We had a few walk-ons get put on scholarship the other day and it’s just fun to see those guys who mean so much to this team, but not necessarily playing on Saturdays [although some can], but how they lead off the field and how they do in the classroom and be good guys. Some of my best friends are walk-ons. They keep me going and push these guys in practice to become better every day.

TS: Is there anything new you have added to your workout to keep yourself in better shape or possibly add a new skill?

HR: I always try to get better and better, but as far as new stuff, I try to keep everything the same. I’ve always worked, but I still try to have fun playing the game. Football has been around forever; there’s not too much that you can do new. Just try to do what you do well. 

TS: Do you have any pre-game rituals that you like to do, maybe something that people might not know? 

HR: I’m trying to think. I just kinda hangout. I don’t listen to much music before the game. Maybe relax a bit. Me and Will Swinney are roommates and we like to play Spades before the game. 

TS: Is there anything important you have been trying to teach the new receivers this summer? 

HR: Drops are gonna happen, but just effort. Good things happen when you play fast. I’ve understood that throughout my career and just kind of remind them to remind me as well. The faster you play and the more you know, the faster you are able to be. I tell them to just get as much knowledge as they can and play fast.

TS: One of the biggest editions for The Tiger was the championship issue. You were a pretty big part of that game but has it affected you in anyway since then?

HR: I try not to let it. If anything I try to work back to that opportunity. The freshmen and sophomores on this team didn’t experience that, and I’m trying for those guys to get back to it and have the same excitement and joy. 

TS: You’re a veteran guy with a different perspective than some of the younger players. Is there anything that you have seen evolve over your time here that you really enjoy.

HR: Absolutely. It seems like every facet of the program has improved whether it’s the nutrition. I mean our nutrition is unbelievable now. We used to have a couple salads, but now we have a full lunch and dinner. Our nutrition is overall higher and the weight room staff has done a great job with rehab and the health part of it. We just got massage chairs this year which a lot of the guys really like. Every little thing we can get is great.  

TS:  Do you have a favorite protein bar or shake you like to have time and again?

HR: I’m not sure. I drink a fair amount of chocolate milk. I love chocolate milk.