Tigers Begin ACC Play: Clemson will travel to Wake Forest for first conference series

Ashley Stout, Asst. Photo Editor

Junior shortstop Eli White (4) has a batting average of .282 on the season with 11 hits and four runs batted in (RBIs) through the first 11 games for the Tigers. 

The Clemson Tigers are set to face off against the Wake Forest Demon Deacons in the first series of ACC play. 

The Tigers are coming off a big series win over South Carolina, and are currently ranked No. 20 in the nation according to Collegiate Baseball.  

Clemson Record: 9-2

Offense:

After struggling mightily in Columbia on Friday, the Tiger offense picked right back up where they left off, outscoring the Gamecocks 9-1 in the final two games of the series. Chase Pinder has been doing his job as the table setter, getting on base at a .488 clip while leading the team in home runs. 

Seth Beer continues to be a threat in the middle of the order, currently hitting .387 with three home runs. Outfielder Reed Rohlman is hitting .351 and has had several clutch doubles so far this season. 

Towards the bottom of the lineup, Weston Wilson currently leads the team with a .389 average, and seems to rack up at least one hit per game. First baseman Andrew Cox has seen more playing lately, and appears to have earned a spot in the lineup against right-handed pitching. 

Pitching:

Other than a rough first game in Columbia, the Tiger pitching staff has been phenomenal. Alex Eubanks surely earned a spot in the rotation with his dominant outing on Sunday, in which he allowed just one run over 7.2 innings. 

Clate Schmidt was terrific as well, not allowing a single run over his 5.1 innings pitched against the Gamecocks in Greenville on Saturday afternoon. 

Charlie Barnes threw well in his most recent start on Friday, but some bad breaks and defensive troubles behind him forced him to exit the game after five innings.

Reassuringly, Pat Krall, Brooks Crawford and Alex Bostic all continue to be successful. Krall only allowed one hit over his 3.2 innings on Friday, and Crawford was very effective throughout his two innings pitched on Saturday. 

Bostic came in to close the door on the Gamecocks to close out the series win, and seems to be the go-to closer at this point. 

Wake Forest Record: 10-3

Offense:

Leading the Demon Deacon offense is infielder Will Craig, who has been one of the best hitters in all of college baseball thus far this season. Craig is hitting .475 with five home runs so far this season, and is undoubtedly the biggest threat in the lineup. Outfielders Jonathan Pryor and Kevin Conway have also caused opposing pitchers some trouble. Both are hitting above .300, and Conway has six doubles on the young season. 

Pitching:

Drew Loepprich has been the anchor in the Demon Deacon rotation this season, pitching to a 1.80 Earned Run Average (ERA) over his three starts. After that, however, things start to go downhill. 

The two other primary starting pitchers have not been too successful, and could struggle against Clemson’s high-powered offense. 

Donnie Sellers, John McCarren and Chris Farish have been go-to relievers out of the bullpen for the Demon Deacons in 2016. 

All three have sub-3.00 ERA’s, but there is no guarantee they will all be available for the weekend series due to two mid-week games against Coastal Carolina on Tuesday and Wednesday. 

The Tigers will travel to Winston-Salem for the weekend series and will be looking to open conference play with a big series win.