New players make case for starting jobs: Spring Game offers chance for players to shine

Ashley Stout, Asst. Photo Editor

Redshirt junior cornerback Marcus Edmond (29) intercepts a pass from Kelly Bryant in Saturday’s Spring Game.

With spring practice concluding for the Tigers on Saturday after the annual Orange vs. White Spring Game, fans will have to wait four months before seeing the players take the field again. With that in mind, The Tiger has rounded up a few rising starts to keep an eye out for this coming fall.

Trevion Thompson –No. 1 / Wide Receiver

Trevion Thompson is a redshirt sophomore from North Carolina who gave the fans plenty to cheer about in Saturday’s Spring Game. He played on the White team alongside Artavis Scott, who many thought would be the offensive star for the team. But Thompson was not going to be shown up by the veteran receiver. He had six receptions for 87 yards — the best statistically for either team on the day, including two acrobatic catches that caused fans to jump out of their seats. While Clemson is already deep at the wide receiver position, don’t be surprised to see Thompson get some playing time this season.

Adam Choice – No. 26 / Running Back

Adam Choice was one of Clemson’s main running backs in 2014 before he suffered an ACL injury against Boston College, which caused him to redshirt last season. Now a redshirt junior, he will be looking for a breakout season. It is crucial for the Tigers that another running back steps up behind Wayne Gallman, and Choice may just be the answer. On Saturday, he had 17 carries for 88 yards for the Orange team — the most of either side. If Choice can stay healthy, he could add another weapon to the dynamic Tiger offense.

Marcus Edmond -No. 29 / Cornerback

Marcus Edmond is a redshirt junior who has seen limited action in his career at Clemson. However, that could change this season. It is no secret that the Tiger secondary is depleted after last season with several starters graduating or leaving for the NFL Draft. With the loss of Mackensie Alexander, Jayron Kearse and T.J. Green to the Draft, Edmond may find himself getting some significant playtime this fall. He certainly made the case for it on Saturday when he intercepted a pass from Kelly Bryant and returned it 53 yards, showing off both his ability to catch and his speed. Had it not been for Bryant tackling him out of bounds, he very well could have scored on the play. Despite Defensive Coordinator Brent Venables being displeased with the lack of consistency at the cornerback position on Saturday, Edmond may have put himself in a good position heading into the regular season.

Mark Fields – No. 24 / Cornerback 

Mark Fields is a sophomore from North Carolina who will also be competing for playing time at the cornerback position. On Saturday he led the Orange with two passes broken up, bettering the veteran Cordrea Tankersley who only had one. Both of the break ups were impressive plays that should make Venables consider him as a possible starter come this fall.

While the Spring Game isn’t the best measure of how players will perform come game day, several guys stepped up on Saturday to try and show the coaches why they deserve the chance to start on September 3. Clemson fans have a lot to be excited about and it is going to be a long four months until the Tigers take the field again.