Clemson Men’s Soccer Team off to a Hot Start

Isabelle Davis, Contributor

Oliver Shannon (4) scored Clemson’s only goal Friday night

Historic Riggs Field was electric on Friday night as an early season top-10 match-up was getting ready to take place between No. 2 Clemson University and No. 8 Creighton University. The Tigers have started off the season strongly with two victories including one over in-state rival South Carolina. They added to that resume on Friday with a 1-0 win

at home. 

With expectations being high this year, it is important that the Tigers continue to rely on the players who have proven they can be difference makers for this team. Some of these players are highlighted below.

Oliver Shannon

The junior from Liverpool scored Clemson’s lone goal on Friday, his first of the year, and also has an assist on the season. After a stellar 2015 where Shannon had five goals and four assists, the Tigers can rely on his experience and his prowess to help them make another run at a national championship this year.  

Diego Campos

If you spend any time watching Clemson soccer, Campos will make an impression. Tough and quick, he can cause a lot of problems for the opponents’ defenses. He is coming off a 2015 season where he had four goals and five assists. With the two leading scorers from last year gone, Campos will have more opportunities to impact the game. Already with two goals over the course of three games, expect to see his name on the score sheet frequently this year. 

Iman Mafi

Mafi is one of the captains for this year’s squad and he certainly plays like it. He is a dynamic midfielder who can play a variety of roles; whether it be defending, setting up goals or scoring them himself. That shows in his numbers from 2015, where he had four goals and a team-high eight assists over the course of his 21 games. He is a Tiger whose leadership and heart will help when the going gets tough this season. 

Mariq Hill

Hill was a player who didn’t get as many quality minutes last year, but so far he has shown up for the Tigers. 

On Friday night he was a huge difference maker, stifling every attack Creighton could put together. He has a habit of being in the right place at the right time. 

Having strong defenders is important this year since star goalkeeper Andrew Tarbell is no longer present -  that being said, Ximo Miralles is no stranger to the sport and will also be a key player this season.

Ximo Miralles

Fans on Friday were entertained by several acrobatic, and just downright impressive, saves from the sophomore keeper. While that was only his second start for Clemson, he played ten years with Villarreal FC Youth Academy, the under-19 team for the Spanish professional club, Villarreal FC. While it remains unclear how playing time will be split between him and Brady Allardice, Miralles could very well have a significant impact on the season for the Tigers. 

With a lot of offensive fire power from last year’s team gone, new players will have to step up and the defense will have to hold strong if the Tigers want to make another College Cup appearance and emerge victorious. 

The Tigers will be in action again on September 9 at 7:30 p.m. against No. 3 North Carolina at Historic Riggs Field.