Peach Pit is eccentric live music perfection

Steph Estrada
Peach Pit performing live

Peach Pit has been described as many things since their first album was released. Alternative, indie pop, surf rock, indie rock and even sad pop. But it’s their Instagram bio that says it best: “Good ol’ southern Canadian music.”

On Sept. 26, they brought their trademark atmosphere to North Carolina, putting on a captivating performance.

Peach Pit is unique enough to be defined musically but dynamic enough to sound distinct. They continue to prove that they are talented enough musicians to do anything sonically and have chosen to do whatever they want. They showed this spirit by opening their concert with a classic metal song, getting the crowd cheering.

A lot of the band’s beauty comes from this type of eccentric style and the lovable oddness of the bandmates. They have managed to create an almost paradoxical sound, tending to contrast their soft pop with gloomy lyrics, often confronting the aftermath of a night of partying.

The band was formed in 2014 when the now-members, Neil Smith, Christopher Vanderkooy, Peter Wilton and Mikey Pascuzzi, were just high school friends collaborating on a school project. They then went on to release their first album three years later and signed with a record company.

Although they have grown up now, the band continues to flawlessly capture teenage nostalgia, bearing the burden of growing up with dark thoughts disguised as lighter chords. Their more tender acoustic songs sound like a friend checking in; their albums hold your hand as you listen to them.

Peach Pit dissects relationships in all their forms; a notable example of this is their song “Alrighty, Aphrodite.” As he regrets his relationship choices, the singer reflects on the fickleness of an ex through an analogy to the Greek goddess of love. He is glad to see her go, despite her otherworldly beauty, and wishes her to take her trouble to other guys instead of him.

By the end of the night, they had electrified the auditorium, and the crowd was screaming for an encore. More specifically, they wanted to hear the fan-favorite “Shampoo Bottles.” In the song, the singer mourns the failure of his relationship as he is left to clean up the physical remnants of it, but he cannot bring himself to throw them away or let the relationship go.

The band caved and came back out, with Smith mocking the crowd and saying, “Play ‘Shampoo Bottles’” in a high-pitched voice into his microphone. When the iconic chords started, ecstatic screams nearly drowned them out. The night ended with the crowd swaying together, phone flashlights in the air, crooning, “Babe, why can’t I just let you go?”

View Comments (1)