April brings Pride Week at Clemson

April brings Pride Week at Clemson
Raphael Renter, Unsplash
Clemson will celebrate Pride in April. Pride is a celebration of the LGBTQ+ community, and the Gantt Center and LGBTQ+ student organizations will be hosting events throughout April, including the popular ninth Annual Drag Show.
Pride Prom is at the Barnes Center on April 8 from 9 p.m. to 12 a.m. The Gantt Center’s website describes it as “an evening of food, music, photos and fun!” All Clemson students, faculty, and staff are invited. A Clemson ID is required for entrance. Masks are strongly recommended.
The ninth Annual Drag Show will be on April 9 at 9 p.m. in the Old Main (Tillman Hall) auditorium. The show is presented by TigerLive Entertainment and Monet X’Change will headline the show. Queens Erica Chanel, Taejah Thomas and Patti O’Furniture will also perform. Doors open at 8 p.m., and it is customary to bring cash to tip the queens performing!
Keynote speaker and pastor, Jim Dant will be speaking on April 10 from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. in Samuel J. Cadden Chapel. Dant, from First Baptist Church in Greenville, South Carolina will be leading an inclusive Bible study and discussing his book “This I Know,” which is a biblical defense for the LGBTQ+ community. “This I Know” advocates for the inclusion and affirmation of the LGBTQ+ community within Christianity. This event is also sponsored by Peace Church University Lutheran Church, and Canterbury Episcopal Campus Ministry.
On April 11 from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m., a Sex Ed 101 session will be held in the Hendrix Meeting Rooms. The session will cover sex ed in an inclusive and holistic way and will discuss anatomy, sexual health, consent, and more. There will also be stations for more specific topics.
Queer Trivia Night will be on April 12 in the Academic Success Center 313 from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. Prizes will be given to the top winners!
Another sex ed event will be on April 13 from 7–8:30 p.m.; the location is still to be determined. This event on April 13 will include a discussion with queer/kink/poly inclusive sex-positive therapists.
Musician Mary Lambert will perform on April 14, along with Wyatt Paige Hermansen at the Brooks Center at 7 p.m. Lambert and Hermansen, who host a podcast together, will share songs and discuss queer identities, mental health and radical self-love.
On April 15, Nick’s Tavern will host a Faculty/Staff Mixer from 5:30–8:30 p.m., and CORE will host a LGBTQ+ Rock Climbing Night on April 15 from 5–8 p.m. at the Fike Climbing Wall. All abilities are welcome!
The second Annual Drag Story Hour on April 16 will wrap up Clemson’s Pride Week. The event will be held on the third floor of Cooper Library beginning at 11:30 a.m. It aims to “inspire a love of reading, while teaching deeper lessons on diversity, self-love and an appreciation of others.”
Be sure to follow the Gantt Center (@cugantt) to stay up to date on information about Pride events!