Clemson QB commit earns fifth star amid Tigers’ busy recruiting week

Lucas Downs, Contributor

The Clemson football team takes the field ahead in Memorial Stadium.

Almost two months after four-star quarterback Christopher Vizzina announced his commitment to attend Clemson as a member of the team’s 2023 recruiting class, Vizzina has been awarded his fifth star.  

With his reranking, the class of 2023 signal-caller is one of just 37 five-stars in the nation across all positions, according to 247Sports Composite.   

“It’s a dream come true,” Vizzina said on Instagram after earning his fifth star.  

So, what garnered Vizzina’s ascent? Part of the answer lies in his performance at the recent ‘QB Retreat’ hosted by Steve Clarkson in Los Angeles. The camp is a two-day intensive training program designed to educate and prepare the country’s top quarterbacks to perform at the high school and collegiate levels.  

247Sports’ Greg Biggins attended the camp, believing Vizzina was the standout 2023 recruit among those who participated. Biggins praised Vizzina’s “effortless release…really good timing, and anticipation,” among other factors, like his 205-pound, 6-foot 4 physical frame.  

Past attendees of the retreat include Clemson legends Trevor Lawrence and Deshaun Watson, as well as current first-string quarterback DJ Uiagalelei.   

In his January scouting report, 247Sports’ Cooper Petagna praised Vizzina’s “athleticism in the pocket and above average mobility as a runner,” projecting him to be a potential multi-year power starter.  

Besides the advantage his athletic prowess will give the Tigers, Vizzina has been proactive in bringing in more recruits. Before taking an official summer visit to Clemson over the weekend along with 30 other recruits, Vizzina was staying in touch with potential prospects.   

“I’m trying to stay active messaging everybody,” Vizzina told 247Sports’ Tom Loy. “Finally getting to meet these people on June 3 and so hoping to build the class.”  

With the loaded visits completed, it appears Vizzina’s work has paid off. As of Thursday, Clemson has eight verbal commitments in its 2023 class, including four-star wide receiver Nathaniel Joseph, four-star edge David Ojiegbe, four-star offensive tackle Ian Reed and four-star cornerback Avieon Terrell.   

Loy also mentioned that Vizzina had some names that “we spoke about off-record that he feels good about the Tigers landing.”  

Thanks to Vizzina earning his fifth star and the recent flurry of commitments, Clemson now boasts the No. 12 2023 recruiting class in the nation as more commitments could be coming over the next couple of weeks.