The Student News Site of Clemson University

The Tiger

The Tiger

The Tiger

FBI terrorism task force taking over hoax active shooter investigation

David Ferrara, alumnus
Your crime highlights this week.

One of the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Forces (JTTFs) has taken over the investigation of the hoax active shooter incident that occurred at Cooper Library and Cribb Hall earlier this month.

The task force is reviewing the case, along with numerous similar cases that occurred on college campuses across the country, according to a University Police incident report.

The JTTFs are a front line of defense against international and domestic terrorism, according to the FBI.

An FBI spokesperson was unable to provide additional information to The Tiger last week, saying it is an ongoing matter. 

Police entered library with rifles drawn, heavier body armor

After the first hoax 911 call was made, dispatch told all units to respond to the library for a possible active shooter situation. Units responded with lights and sirens on, according to the incident report.

Within two minutes, two officers arrived outside, deployed their rifles and put on heavier body armor. Officers spoke to two men and asked if they had seen anyone with trench coats or heard any gunshots. The men said that they had been outside and had not heard anything.

The two officers then began to walk the third floor, noticing that students were sitting at desks and did not appear to be in a panic.

Soon, dispatch received the second hoax 911 call, in which the swatter said that the men with firearms were near a bus. The officers did not see a bus on the side of the library where they entered and walked towards the opposite side by Humanities Hall. They did not see one there either.

The officers then walked the rest of the building with their rifles in a low-ready position, pointed towards the floor.

As officers cleared the library, no students appeared to be in a panic, leading the two officers who responded first to return their rifles to their cars.

Police respond to third hoax 911 call 20 minutes after the first

Twenty minutes after the call was received, the caller reconnected with dispatch and said that the men with weapons were now on the second floor of Cribb Hall. Officers responded, and each floor was cleared without firearms drawn.

Students were concerned about what was going on, having seen the large police response, so officers remained in the library and Cribb Hall for an hour after the incident. The University also sent out a safe alert to students, explaining that there was no threat to campus.

Leave a Comment
Donate to The Tiger

Your donation will support the student journalists of Clemson University . Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

More to Discover
Donate to The Tiger

Comments (0)

All The Tiger Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *