Brief: Clemson University trustee committee recommends university find alternate location for proposed CHP plant

The Clemson University board of trustees’ finance and facilities committee recommended to university leadership on Thursday morning that the location for the planned Duke Energy CHP (combined heat and power) plant be moved from its original proposed site.

In its recommendation, the committee directed the university to find a location for the facility west of Highway 76 closer to the main part of campus. The committee expects its action to be endorsed by the full board on Friday, April 21 during its business meeting.

Executive Vice President for Finance and Operations Brett Dalton said in a statement that “the board has provided university leadership with clear direction that this important facility must not only serve the university’s needs but also must be located and constructed in a manner that is respectful of our community neighbors. The university is appreciative of the board’s leadership on this issue as well as of our ongoing partnership with Duke Energy.”

The committee’s recommendation comes a week after Clemson University announced a “complete reevaluation” of the proposed site in response to backlash from local residents and representatives.

The university said in a statement that it does not expect the reevaluation to delay completion of the facility, which is expected to begin operations in spring 2019.