Governor Haley flies Clemson flag over Capitol

Courtesy of @nikkihaleyvia Twitter
Clemson flag over Capitol

After a last second victory over Alabama in the early hours of Jan. 10, South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley ordered the university’s flag to be flown over the statehouse in Columbia in honor of the Tigers’ victory over the Crimson Tide.
Governor Haley and her daughter, Rena, a freshman undeclared major at Clemson, raised the flag together.
“To be able to raise the Clemson flag in the dome of the State House with my mom was a very memorable experience and opportunity. I am so proud to be a part of such an amazing school. It was an unforgettable night. It’s always a great day to be a Clemson Tiger!” Rena Haley said.
The raising of a university’s flag above the statehouse is a common occurrence for South Carolina teams who win national titles in any sport, not just football. The University of South Carolina’s flag flew over the statehouse after their baseball team won the College World Series in 2010 and 2011. When Coastal Carolina’s baseball team won the College World Series in 2016, their flag flew over the statehouse as well.
Governor Haley was proud to fly her alma mater’s flag over the statehouse, writing on Facebook: “Clemson showed their heart and humility throughout the entire season … they reminded us that, with faith and hard work, anything is possible. That’s what defines South Carolina.”
Governor Haley also said that Clemson’s victory over Alabama was “unforgettable” and added that, “The Statehouse looks great in orange! Go Tigers!”
Representative Jeff Duncan (R-SC), who graduated from Clemson in 1988, also seemed excited about the Tigers’ victory over Alabama, tweeting early Tuesday morning, “SC needs to @nikkihaley fly the Paw over the Statehouse once again!” The flag was raised shortly thereafter.
Duncan also added, “Congrats to the Tigers, Coach Dabo Swinney, #4 Deshaun Watson and the whole team! One of the BEST National Championship games EVER!”
The Empire State Building in New York City also glowed in orange and purple after the game, tweeting, “Congrats @ClemsonFB! Our tower is sparkling in orange & purple to celebrate their @CFBPlayoff #NationalChampionship victory. #ALLIN” to which Clemson Football replied, “The Orange & Regalia look good on you! #ALLIN.”