Clemson University schedules meetings to help students affected by executive order

Clemson University President James Clements sent a letter to the Clemson family on Monday announcing there would be a series of meetings to help everyone understand the impact of President Trump’s executive order that suspends immigration from seven countries (Iraq, Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen) for 90 days.

The university says it has identified 115 students from affected countries and is in the process of contacting them to help them access resources and get answers to their questions. The university knows of no students from the affected countries who are currently traveling outside the United States.

Clemson is also in the process of identifying faculty and staff from those same countries so that they can assist them as well.

“Our international students, faculty and staff, and their families, are a valued and vital part of our university community. Furthermore, diversity and inclusion are foundational values of our university and necessary for Clemson to fulfill its mission. In order to support anyone who has questions or concerns about the executive order, we have scheduled a series of informational sessions, starting today, that are open to anyone who wishes to attend,” Clements said.

The university has also scheduled a series of information sessions in order to support those who have questions or concerns about the executive order. The sessions will be held in the McKissick Theatre, which is located in the Hendrix Student Center. Times are as follows:

• Today, Jan. 30: 4 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.

• Tuesday, Jan. 31: Noon – 1:30 p.m.

• Wednesday, Feb. 1: 9 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.

•Thursday, Feb. 2: 5 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.

Associate Provost for Global Engagement  Dr. Sharon Nagy and members of her team will be on hand to answer questions.  

The university is also encouraging students, faculty and staff to reach out to Dr. Nagy at [email protected] or call the Office of Global Engagement at (864) 656-3614.

To read President Clements’ letter, click here.