Clemson-related stories you may have missed over winter break

Clemson students have come back to Tigertown after a Winter Break of Netflix and chilling, stuffing their faces and dodging awkward talk with their families. But what news did students miss over the holidays? Here’s a quick list to get you back up to speed.
Clemson sailing club treasurer charged with breach of trust
The former treasurer of Clemson University’s sailing club is accused of using the group’s credit card to pay for his tuition, rent, a spring break trip to Key West, Florida and the deposit on a class ring.
22-year-old Mateo Gomez was arrested on Dec. 15 and charged with breach of trust, according to the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED). He was taken to the Pickens County Detention Center and is currently out on bond.
Gomez handled money for the sailing club from January 2016 until September 2017, according to the arrest warrant. Club members contacted university police in late September about their suspicions regarding Gomez.
A SLED affidavit says an audit of the club’s finances showed Gomez used nearly $18,500 of the organization’s money for personal purchases and cash withdrawals.
Clemson geology museum suffers water damage
The Campbell Geology Museum has been forced to close temporarily after freezing weather caused a pipe to burst in the ceiling.
A full-size casting of the Dimetrodon sail-backed dinosaur, the flying reptiles exhibit and several fossils were crushed, according to a university news release. Several display cabinets were damaged as well.
Museum curator Adam Smith said “there is no telling how long we will be closed” and that people should check the museum’s Facebook page for updates.
Road closures to affect campus this spring
The Clemson University campus will see numerous road closures between January – March 2018. The work will affect the stretch of Calhoun Dr. between Hwy 93 and Olin Hall. Click here to read more.
New Italian restaurant opens
Amici, an Italian restaurant, celebrated its grand opening on Jan. 8. The restaurant is located at 189 Old Greenville Hwy, Suite B, which is on the ground floor of the Plaza One89 apartment building.
Clemson students displaced by apartment fires
Eight Clemson students were displaced by an apartment fire that occurred on Jan. 9.
The Clemson University Fire Department responded to apartments on Foy Creek Drive just after 4:30 a.m., Fox Carolina reported. Two units were damaged and no injuries were reported.
This was the second fire in which Clemson students were displaced, WSPA reported. The Friday before, crews responded to a duplex fire on Kelly Road.
Insomnia Cookies is coming soon
Insomnia Cookies, a late-night bakery concept, will open a store in the 114 Earle apartment building in downtown Clemson later this spring. Click here to read more.