Tigers win in comeback fashion: Head Coach Monte Lee earns 300th career win

Ashley Stout, Asst. Photo Editor

Freshman right-handed pitcher Brooks Crawford (19) attempts a pick off. Crawford has an ERA of 2.49 in 14 appearences with 17 strikeouts on the season. 

Between rain delays, the lights going out and an extra inning, it seemed like the odds were against the Tigers at their last game. But with Monte Lee’s potential 300th win at home looming in the air, the Tigers came on top.

After a 2-1 series loss against an underwhelming Duke, Clemson’s baseball needed a win against the then Western Carolina Catamounts in order to gain the momentum they need before going

to Louisville.

In the first inning, the Catamounts came out swinging, scoring one run off a run batted in (RBI) single from outfielder Bryson Bowman. They then gained the momentum and went on to score three more runs in the fourth and fifth innings.

Clemson’s biggest struggle was on the mound. Starting out with Jake Higginbotham, the midweek starter pitched for four innings, giving up three runs (all earned). Higginbotham walked three and struck out two before being replaced by Brooks Crawford. Crawford came in for a short time before Patrick Andrews entered the game. Andrews only pitched .1 inning and gave up two hits and two earned runs. 

The poor performance by Andrews came at a bad time since the Clemson offense was finally able to get going in the fifth inning. In the fifth, Williams hit a single, later scoring off of Triller’s RBI double. After advancing to third on a wild pitch, Triller was able to score off of Wilson’s sacrificed fly. Chris Okey capped off an explosive inning, hitting his sixth home run of the season. 

Luckily for the Tigers, Alex Bostic had one of his best performances of the season. He walked one, struck out two and allowed no hits in 2.2 innings pitched. This allowed the Tigers to get back in

the game.

Clemson was able to complete the comeback in dramatic fashion thanks to another offensive showcase in the eighth. Seth Beer hit his 14th home run of the season to cut the Catamounts lead to one with a score of 6-5. Then Eli White’s clutch RBI double scored, allowing Jordan Greene to tie the score up at six a piece. 

The pitching continued to improve when the Tigers brought in Pat Krall to close out the game. In two innings pitched, he did not surrender a hit. Unfortunately, the Tigers were unable to bring the winning run home during regulation so the game went to extra innings. 

In the bottom of the tenth, White got a leadoff single but with two quick outs afterwards, it seemed as if the fans  at Doug Kingmore were in for an even longer night. However, Weston Wilson came through with a walk off RBI single to give Head Coach Monte Lee his 300th career win.