New parking lot to be paved on Kite Hill

Clemson University Facilities has put a plan out for a bid to build a new parking lot on Kite Hill, located on the east side of Clemson’s campus near the Kite Hill Recycling Center.

The proposed lot will have 320 spaces, with an option for 119 more after the project is completed, according to construction plans located on the Clemson Facilities website.

This project is a part of Clemson University Parking and Transportation Services’ previously reported plan to expand campus parking, where west resident students can park on the Kite Hill lot during home games during football season.

“As a freshman on campus, it does make me feel better that they are paving the lot because we will be able to park and not run the risk of messing up our tires on the gravel or dirt. The lot has been around for a while, and residents on campus are really happy about this update,” Willson Moody, a freshman general engineering major, said.

According to the bid addenda, also known as the contract document, the lot is expected to be completed over the summer before students come back in the fall.

The lot will be served by a new Green Route bus, according to construction documents, which is expected to transport people to the main campus along McMillan Road.

“From there, it’s a straight shot down McMillan Road to the ASC,” Dan Hoffman said to The Tiger last spring in an interview regarding campus parking. “You’ll be able to get a bus right to the center of campus.”

The total cost remains uncertain, as a bidder has not been selected yet to complete the project.

This new lot will replace the current 180-space gravel lot on the hill and will use the same entrance on McMillan Road, adjacent to the Kite Hill Recycling Center.

The lot will flatten and broaden the top of Kite Hill, lowering the hill’s peak by about 6 feet.

In addition, it will include about 60 trees and additional shrubbery to provide coverage for the new parking area.

View Comments (1)