Clemson tops Duke in final seconds for scrimmage win

Toby Corriston
Nathan Richmond (25) and Ousmane Sylla (11) celebrate at Historic Riggs Field.

The Clemson men’s soccer team took down the Duke Blue Devils 3-2 in the match’s final moments on Saturday.

After exchanging scores for the entirety of the contest, the score sat at two a piece. With 14 seconds left on the clock, the ball soared into the Duke box, and Clemson forward James Kelly landed a header to win the game. With no time for the Blue Devils to counter, the Tigers took home the last-second win to upset the Blue Devils again.

Clemson United looks slightly different from when they last faced the Blue Devils. While star midfielder Nathan Richmond is still with the squad, Ousmane Sylla, Pape Mar Boye and Brandon Parrish, who all received picks to MLS teams in the most recent draft, are not on the field. Richmond’s presence on the field continues to impact the game, as he drilled in the first score.

The intensity and physicality of Clemson’s matches against Duke is one thing that has not changed. Multiple cards were given throughout the match, and fouls came in left and right. This type of play continued until the end of the first half, where the Tigers maintained their one-score lead.

Duke adjusted well through halftime and came out playing like a different team. The team’s offense and ball control improved, which led to them scoring two goals in a row to take the lead. The Tigers didn’t settle, as midfielder Jackson Wrobel drilled a shot from outside the box with 13 minutes left to even the score.

After Wrobel’s score, Clemson rode its offensive fire until the final seconds, scoring a game-winning goal against their ACC rival. Ball movement and playmaking from Wrobel, Richmond and forward Isaiah Easley led the Tigers to their conference scrimmage win.

The Tigers will stay at Historic Riggs Field to face the Crown Legacy Football Club on Tuesday, March 5, at 6 p.m.