Clemson United dependent on young talent for 2024 season

Toby Corriston
Clemson forward Tyler Trimnal (17) will see a bigger role next season for Clemson United following the departures of many Tigers on offense.

With the culmination of the 2023 collegiate men’s soccer season came Clemson United’s second national championship title in three years. A prominent factor in the team’s success was their veteran talent and leadership from the likes of superstar scorer and midfielder Ousmane Sylla, who earned second in the conference for goals, assists and total points.

However, Sylla, as well as other big names such as forward Mohamed Seye, defender Pape Mar Boye and more, are departing for the pros.

The Tigers will look quite different when they take to the field in August. Although much time is left in off-season training and recruitment, many players are positioned to see increased playing time and more opportunities to put in work, thanks to the changing roster.

Tyler Trimnal is one such player who has shown tremendous talent this past year. A sophomore out of Lancaster, South Carolina, the forward will enter his junior year with a chance to build upon his 2023 season.

Trimnal starred in 20 games with nine starts throughout the season, putting up five goals and two assists to total 12 points and earn his place as the fourth-highest point scorer on the team.

His biggest game came in the team’s ACC tournament match against Duke when he earned his first career brace and propelled the Tigers to the semifinals. Weeks later, in the NCAA quarterfinal against Stanford, he scored the second and final goal of the game to seal their victory and send them closer to their eventual College Cup victory.

Another Tiger positioned for a big season is forward Remi Okunlola. The Lawrenceville, Georgia, native is only a rising sophomore for the upcoming season, leaving plenty of time to develop his talent further.

Although he started just four times last season, he earned eight points across his 16 games played, thanks to his two goals and four assists. In his limited time behind such a talented roster, he showed massive potential and was crucial in setting up big goals for the Tigers at the forward position.

At the midfielder position, rising senior Jackson Wrobel expects to see more time on the field after playing 402 minutes last year. The Madison, Alabama, native scored two goals and had two assists to make his six point total.

Additionally, in his only penalty kick of the season, Wrobel scored to win the game against ACC-rival Duke and send the Tigers to the ACC tournament semifinal. With a lack of depth at midfield and the upcoming roster adjustments, the talents of Wrobel are expected to make a difference and boost the Tigers in the absence of Sylla and former captain Brandon Parrish.

Clemson United looks to continue developing soccer superstars as it prepares its players for breakout seasons in the hunt for another national title.