New Badminton Facility to replace the Upper Intramural Field

Griffin Cobb, Experienced Doodler

nitial plans for the men’s badminton stadium, to be built on the northern side of Memorial Stadium. 

In a recent update sent out to the student body, Clemson Athletics has announced that construction of the new men’s badminton facility, which will replace the upper intramural field on the north side of Memorial Stadium, will begin at the end of May 2022.
In early March, the Board of Trustees Finance and Facilities Committee reviewed the project’s $69 million budget. They then sent the plans to the full Board of Trustees, who gave unanimous approval on March 28.
“We are delighted to announce the beginning stages of our newest state- of-the-art stadium on our campus,” said an Athletics representative in the statement to The Kitten. “We know it will serve the community well and lead the way in Division I badminton across the country.”
Included in the announcement were plans for the arena, which will have three Olympic-sized synthetic courts and seat 11,000 fans.
Since the announcement of the badminton team last spring, there have been objections from the student body. The newest updates once again stirred
harsh criticisms around campus. “Clemson is taking away our space for a sport no one cares about,” said senior communications major and intramural lacrosse player Ralph Racquet. “Intramurals are a huge part of student life on this campus,and our fields are being torn down for some massive building that will never be used. And 11,000 seats? That’s bigger than Littlejohn!”
Other students are confused at Athletic Director Graham Neff’s decision to continue plans for the badminton team even after the continuation of men’s cross country and track and field.
“I thought the team was a replacement for men’s track,” said sophomore biochemistry major Danielle Dropshot. “Not to mention the fact that this new stadium will take attention away from the new women’s athletics facilities.”
Regardless of student concerns, the Board of Trustees continues to be enthusiastic about the newest addition to campus, which they plan to open for the winter 2022-2023 badminton season.
The Kitten will continue to update the Clemson community as more information is released.