Clemson Athletics extends Brad Brownell’s contract

Caleb Browder, Photo Editor

Clemson basketball head coach Brad Brownell coaches his team to a victory over Presbyterian in the 2021 season opener.

After a groundbreaking season, Clemson men’s basketball head coach Brad Brownell is getting paid. Clemson’s Athletic department announced on Friday that Brownell is signing a five-year contract extension that will pay him $11 million per year, which makes him the highest paid college basketball coach. 

Brownell had great success this season in making it to the beloved March Madness Tournament. He sought revenge after the previous season’s tournament ending. 

The Tigers went all the way to the sweet sixteen in the tournament, which was plenty to satisfy the fans and team. With a new contract, the fans are hopeful to see the tournament next year too. 

The students at Clemson have much to say about the basketball team’s successful season. Some students on the popular app called Yik Yak described Brownell’s coaching style as “masterful,” and some even used the word “dumbfounding.” 

“The ultimate decision to give Brownell the title as highest paid college basketball coach came down to the fact that we cannot see our program in the hands of anyone else,” said a spokesperson from Clemson Athletics.  

His success within the program gives Clemson football something to strive towards in its 2022 season. 

Members on Brownell’s staff even advocated for an extension for Brownell. 

“Brownell’s season was more successful than Dabo Swinney’s and he is the highest paid college football coach, so what does that make Brownell?” A Clemson men’s basketball assistant coach said in a statement to The Kitten.  

With the extension, Brownell will continue his legacy at Clemson and have the opportunity to make Tigers proud with many potential years of success to come.