Murray: Leave your mark on Clemson with Capital Improvement funds

Clemson Undergraduate Student Government // Provided
Capital Improvement poster

Each year, one purview of the Clemson Undergraduate Student Senate is to facilitate the allocation of university funds to student-led projects and initiatives that create tangible change on campus. This process is called Capital Improvement, and this year’s applications are now open!  

While you might not have heard of Capital Improvement before, I am sure that you have seen its effects on campus before. For example, the Clemson University sign near Mell Hall and the renovation of two memorial cannons on Bowman Field, nicknamed “Tom” and “Jerry,” were both made possible through Capital Improvement.

Another great example is the two tiger statues that guard the entrance to Memorial Stadium, or the anatomy kits that are available to rent from Cooper Library for studying. If you have ever ridden around campus using one of the orange and gray BikeShare bicycles, you were able to because of a previous student’s idea to make our campus more accessible.  

This year, the Senate will allocate $70,000 to these projects, and after collecting applications for project funding up until December 9th, 2022, the Senate will spend the third Monday of February 2022 allocating these funds at their regularly scheduled meeting. The body may choose to fund multiple, smaller projects or fewer, larger projects, and this term’s senators are excited to hear about and fund the passion projects of Clemson students, both undergraduate and graduate, and faculty and staff.  
All in all, Capital Improvement is a wonderful way for any member of the Clemson family to invoke positive, tangible change on our campus and leave their mark on Clemson as a whole.
The application is open now and will close on December 9th, 2022 at 11:59 pm. If you have any questions, please reach out to the CUSG Senate Secretary, Amanda Murray, at [email protected].