Clemson gymnastics wins first ACC matchup

Clemson gymnastics is off to a 2-0 start in its inaugural season, defeating Pittsburgh on Sunday for the program’s first ACC win.

A sold-out crowd in Littlejohn Coliseum helped lead Clemson gymnastics to its first ACC victory in program history against Pittsburgh last Sunday.

The Tigers started off on vault to begin the meet, where redshirt sophomore Trinity Brown led the team with a career-high score of 9.900. Junior Lauren Rutherford was up next and landed a score of 9.850, while her teammates, redshirt junior Eve Jackson, redshirt sophomore Madison Minner and redshirt sophomore Molly Arnold, followed closely behind with a score of 9.800. The Tigers had an early lead to conclude the first rotation with a score of 49.150, while the Panthers ended their first rotation with a 48.625.

Clemson next headed to bars for its second rotation, where Jackson went to tie her season high with a score of 9.825; she went on to tie with Pittsburgh’s Emily Todd to win the event. Following Jackson, redshirt freshman Lilly Lippeatt, graduate Kaitlin DeGuzman, redshirt senior Rebecca Wells and Rutherford scored the highest, which led to the Tigers maintaining their lead at the end of the second rotation.

The third rotation had the Tigers competing on beam, where redshirt sophomore Kielyn McCright put up a score of 9.900. Lippeatt and Wells tied for second, giving Clemson the top three spots on beam. The Tigers held a small lead of 146.825 to 146.475 as they headed into their final rotation.

Redshirt sophomore Brie Clark put up the highest score from any Clemson gymnast thus far in the season with a score of 9.925 on her floor routine. Rutherford was close behind with a score of 9.900, while Lippeatt and Arnold tied for fourth place overall to help the Tigers close out the meet and defeat the Panthers 196.200 to 194.775.

The Tigers will next travel to Chapel Hill, North Carolina, to take on the Tarheels on Friday, Jan. 26, at 7:30 p.m.