Tigers get back in win column with victory over Wake Forest

William Stehn
Amari Robinson (5) looks for a pass from teammate Ruby Whitehorn (22) in the Tigers’ victory over Wake Forest on Sunday.

The Clemson women’s basketball team faced Wake Forest Sunday evening, defeating the Demon Deacons 73-59 to put an end to a seven-game losing streak.

The Tigers (9-12, 2-7 ACC) started the game off strong, opening up the game with a 13-6 run that spanned nearly half of the first quarter.

Clemson’s defense remained strong throughout the rest of the half, as Wake Forest (4-16, 0-8 ACC) shot just 26.2% from the field. The stout defense, coupled with out-rebounding the Demon Deacons 22-11, allowed the Tigers to go into halftime up 50-25.

The Demon Deacons opened the second half looking to claw their way back into the game, as they went on a 12-4 run that took up nine minutes of the third quarter. As the game came to an end, Wake Forest came within 12, but the Tigers held on to win.

Leading the Tigers in scoring was Amari Robinson with 21 points, while the team as a whole finished the game shooting 43.8% from the field. Clemson also shot from the free throw line 32 times, hitting 26 of its shots in what was a major factor in the victory.

The Tigers look to keep the momentum rolling as they play the last of their three-game home stretch against Boston College on Thursday at 7 p.m.