Clemson gymnastics falls to NC State for second time this season

Toby Corriston
Redshirt senior Rebecca Wells has been a major contributor for the Tigers the entire season, most recently leading the team in both floor and beam against the Wolfpack with a 9.900 and 9.950, respectively.

Clemson gymnastics traveled to Raleigh, North Carolina, on Saturday to take on NC State in hopes of redemption after defeat earlier this month, but were beaten once again by the Wolfpack by a score of 197.575 to 196.000.

The Tigers started strong on bars, with redshirt freshman Lilly Lippeatt scoring a 9.900 on her routine. Redshirt sophomore Trinity Brown followed close behind at 9.875, setting her new career high. Redshirt junior Eve Jackson and junior Lauren Rutherford also scored 9.875, allowing the Tigers to end the first rotation with a 49.375.

While redshirt sophomore Molly Arnold and redshirt senior Rebecca Wells put up a 9.925 and a 9.900, respectively, the Tigers still struggled on vault for the second rotation. With two scores of 9.250 and 9.350, the Tigers ultimately had to count the 9.350, which brought down their overall score and put the Tigers down 98.700 to the Wolfpack’s 98.175.

Up next came floor, where Wells led Clemson with a score of 9.900. Jackson, Arnold and redshirt sophomore Brie Clark all put up scores of 9.875. With solid performances on beam from the Wolfpack, the Tigers still trailed 148.075-147.375.

For their final rotation, Lippeatt started the Tigers on the beam and scored a career-high 9.900. Wells followed with her own career-high of 9.950, tying for first place in the event. Freshman Sierra Church put up her career high of 9.825, but Clemson ultimately fell to NC State for its second loss of the season despite a strong performance from the Tigers.

Clemson will be back in action at Littlejohn Coliseum on Friday, Feb. 23, to take on North Carolina at 7 p.m.