The Chronicle holds ‘spring cleaning’-themed release event

Mercedes Dubberly
The Chronicle features a wide variety of student submitted work in various media, including poetry, photography, painting and collage.

Clemson’s oldest student publication launched its most recent issue at a release party on Monday. The Chronicle, Clemson’s arts and literature magazine, spent the past semester soliciting submissions and designing its latest issue, themed around spring cleaning.

Outgoing Chronicle editor-in-chief Julia Bonetto, a senior biological sciences major, said the theme was inspired by recent changes to the organization’s space.

The Chronicle’s office “got moved a few times,” Bonetto said, “so we spent a lot of time going through stuff.”

The Chronicle was founded in 1897, so the staff “had some history to dig through,” according to Bonetto. “The spring cleaning theme felt right.”

Students filled the Barnes Center at 7 p.m., picking up crochet kits and taking pictures in a pop-up photo booth before the magazine was unveiled at 7:30.

In her speech announcing the issue, Bonetto thanked both students who had work featured in the magazine and those who came to support the publication. “This is the biggest crowd I’ve ever seen at one of these events,” she said.

Event attendees were also invited to bring an item they no longer wanted or needed for a spring cleaning thrift swap. Students exchanged various wares, including clothes, CDs, vases and a computer monitor.

The magazine itself features a wide variety of student-submitted work in various media, including poetry, photography, painting and collage, with the spread and layout of the magazine becoming less cluttered towards the end of the magazine to fit the spring cleaning theme. Continuing the “out with the old trend,” this semester’s issue also serves as something of a farewell for Bonetto, who is graduating this May. Despite her transition, she still plans to keep up with The Chronicle: “I’m excited to see what they make next year, without me.”