Paws up, paws down: Clemson vs. Florida State

Ashleigh Snyder // Contributor

Hunter Tyson (5), PJ Hall (24), Chase Hunter (1) and Ian Schieffelin (4) celebrate against the Florida State Seminoles in Littlejohn Coliseum on Feb. 15, 2023. 

Following a three-game losing streak, the Clemson men’s basketball team came out victorious against the Florida State Seminoles for the second time this season by a score of 94-54. Here are a few of the biggest takeaways from the game.

Paws up: First-half heat

Clemson shot well out of the gate, leading 16-3 five minutes into the game and shooting 60% from the field in the first half.

After three losses, this hot shooting gave the Tigers the momentum they needed to stay comfortable in the first half. 

With five minutes left in the half, the Tigers grew their lead to 20 points — and they never looked back from that point forward. 

Paws up: Explosive defense 

The Tigers played exceptional defense early on to create a double-digit lead that lasted for the entirety of the game. The Tigers put major pressure on the Seminoles, making it difficult for them to get to the paint. 

It was clear the Tigers’ height helped them regarding defensive rebounds, as their 27 defensive rebounds made it difficult for Florida to push forward.

Head coach Brad Brownell and the team caused Florida State to turn the ball over 16 times, which the Tigers scored 31 points on throughout the game.

“Coach really enforced defense this game,” junior guard Chase Hunter said after the game. 

The Tigers struggled defensively on the road the past week and were able to overcome this drought in tonight’s game. 

Paws up: Efficient and aggressive offense 

The Tigers played an aggressive game, putting up 94 points against the same Seminoles team they beat by a singular point just three weeks ago. As a team, the Tigers shot 60.3% from the field and 70.6% from the line.

Just as important was Clemson’s success from beyond the arc, as the team made 12 of 25 3-point attempts. 

With just under five minutes left in the game, Brownell and the Tigers stretched their lead to 40 points — a victory-margin that they eventually ended with, marking the largest victory against an ACC opponent in program history. 

Paws down: Consistency 

Although Clemson played exceptionally in Littlejohn Wednesday night, the three-game skid dropped the Tigers out of national rankings and lowered them to fourth place in the ACC. 

The Tigers displayed a lot of necessary momentum in the win, but it may not be enough in the long run, as the losses may cost them a tournament run for the second consecutive year.