Letter to the editor: CUSG Special Referendum

Dear Fellow Tigers,

Two weeks ago, the Clemson Undergraduate Student Senate passed Senate Bill 18, which was a constitutional amendment to give more powers to you, the Undergraduate Student Body. This amendment to the Constitution will give you the power as the student body by petition to directly propose legislation to the Senate Body, as well as give you the power by petition to repeal legislation that we pass, a process commonly known in student governments across the country as “Initiative & Review.” This Wednesday, Nov. 14, there will be a Special Referendum for all students to vote on the implementation of Senate Bill 18 into the Clemson Undergraduate Student Government Constitution. This process of “Initiative & Review” is a right that many students across the country already have but has not been established for Clemson students. Our hope, as authors of this amendment, is to further the involvement and engagement of the student body with your Student Government and elected Senators, and to give you the right to directly tell us what you would like to see us working on and also keep us accountable as our constituents. As your Senators, we want your voices to be heard. Please vote this Wednesday, regardless of the way you vote. Check your emails Wednesday morning for an email from CUSG with the link to vote!

With You, For Clemson,

Matt Innocenti & Will Billbrough